(New American Roget's College Thesaurus)
n. net; tether, manacle, chain, fetter; impediment, shackle, hindrance; confinement, restraint. —v. t. entangle, catch, trap; bind, hobble, tether, shackle, bridle, manacle, chain; restrain, imprison; impede, hinder.
(Roget's IV) v.
Syn. impede, hinder, obstruct, clog, hamper, shackle, fetter, spancel, hobble, restrain, check, encumber, cramp, retard, oppose, cumber, incommode, discommode, discompose, thwart, frustrate, circumvent, enchain, bridle, muzzle, gag, pinion, manacle, restrict, bind, tether, tie, handcuff, curb.
Ant. help*, aid, assist.
(Roget's 3 Superthesaurus)
restraint, shackle, constraint, impediment, hindrance, fetter, yoke.
restrain, shackle, restrict, constrain, confine, impede, hinder, obstruct, fetter.
(Roget's Thesaurus II) I noun Something that limits or restricts: check, circumscription, constraint, cramp2, curb, inhibition, limit, limitation, restraint, restriction, stricture. See LIMITED. II verb 1. To gain control of or an advantage over by or as if by trapping: catch, enmesh, ensnare, ensnarl, entrap, snare, tangle, trap, web. See FREE. 2. To restrict the activity or free movement of: chain, fetter, hamper, hamstring, handcuff, hobble, leash, manacle, shackle, tie. Informal: hog-tie. See FREE, HELP.

English dictionary for students. 2013.

Игры ⚽ Поможем решить контрольную работу

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Trammel — may refer to:* Trammel (engineers), a metalworking tool * Trammel (fishing net), a fishing net set vertically in the water with three layersee also* Trammel hook * Trammel points * Trammels …   Wikipedia

  • trammel — [tram′əl] n. [ME tramaile < MFr tramail, a net < ML tremaculum, kind of fishing net < L tres, THREE + macula, a mesh] 1. a) a fishing net consisting of two outer layers of coarse mesh and a loosely hung middle layer of fine mesh b) a… …   English World dictionary

  • trammel — ► NOUN 1) (trammels) literary restrictions or impediments to freedom of action. 2) (also trammel net) a three layered net, designed so that a pocket forms when fish attempt to swim through, thus trapping them. ► VERB (trammelled, trammelling; US… …   English terms dictionary

  • Trammel — Tram mel, n. [F. tramail, tr[ e]mail, a net, LL. tremaculum, tremacle, a kind of net for taking fish; L. tres three + macula a mesh. See {Three}, and {Mail} armor.] 1. A kind of net for catching birds, fishes, or other prey. Carew. [1913 Webster] …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • Trammel — Tram mel, v. t. [imp. & p. p. {Trammeled}or {Trammelled}; p. pr. & vb. n. {Trammeling}, or {Trammelling}.] 1. To entangle, as in a net; to catch. [R.] Shak. [1913 Webster] 2. To confine; to hamper; to shackle. [1913 Webster] …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • trammel — I verb bind, bridle, check, clog, confine, constrain, control, cramp, cumber, curb, debar, discommode, enchain, encumber, entangle, entrammel, fasten, fetter, frustrate, hamper, handicap, hinder, hobble, hold back, impede, incommode,… …   Law dictionary

  • trammel — *hamper, fetter, shackle, clog, manacle, hog tie Analogous words: *hinder, impede, obstruct, block, bar: *restrain, curb, check, inhibit: *limit, restrict, circumscribe, confine …   New Dictionary of Synonyms

  • trammel — has inflected forms tramelled, tramelling in BrE, and usually trameled, trameling in AmE …   Modern English usage

  • trammel — {{11}}trammel (n.) mid 14c. (implied in trammeller) net to catch fish, from M.Fr. tramail, from O.Fr. (early 13c.), from L.L. tremaculum, perhaps meaning a net made from three layers of meshes, from L. tri three + macula a mesh (see MAIL (Cf.… …   Etymology dictionary

  • trammel — UK [ˈtræm(ə)l] / US verb [transitive] Word forms trammel : present tense I/you/we/they trammel he/she/it trammels present participle trammelling past tense trammelled past participle trammelled formal to force someone to do something without… …   English dictionary

  • trammel — Ellipsograph El*lip so*graph, n. [Ellipse + graph: cf. F. ellipsographe.] An instrument for describing ellipses; called also {trammel}. [1913 Webster] …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”